Photo by Dave
Location: Waynesboro, VA
With me: The Famous Interrupting Amazon Parrot “Storm”
Everyone loves Storm the “interrupting” amazon parrot and I’ve found people have SO many questions about him. I wanted to compile everything of his in one blog so that whatever you’re looking for, you can find it here! Yay! It’s a whole lotta info on everyone’s favorite amazon! (No offense other amazon lovers out there…!)
First, some FAQ about Storm:
Is Storm my parrot?
No, he is not mine.
While Dave was coaching a freeflight student, he went up for a one on one training session to meet future trainers Sheri and Jeanne. He was coaching them through how to train Sheri’s harlequin macaw, Chex.
During the training visit, Dave met the rest of Sheri’s flock along with Jeanne’s flock. Jeanne had a very obese amazon parrot named Storm and Dave decided to surprise me by bringing him home with him to work on to help solve his severe obesity problem. It was Dave’s intent to work with him, but I got to him first! 😉
Does Storm only interrupt you or does he interrupt other people too?
He only interrupts me. Sometimes he gets on a talking streak and is so excited he just keeps talking, and sometimes I try to trick him about when I’m going to talk and then he just talks forever so he doesn’t get tricked (smarty pants…)
But if I’m standing among other people he will be quiet when they speak and loud when I speak, getting louder as I get louder.
Why does he only interrupt you?
It must be the love he has for me that separates me from the rest.
Or maybe he just thinks I have nothing worth hearing.
How long did you have Storm?
I had him for exactly 45 days and was originally only focused on his weight loss and conquering his obesity. I did this through change of diet and flight training which lead to intense flight training and eventually training him for outdoor freeflight. I actually surprised his owner by having him outside performing recalls when she showed up to Moab, Utah those 45 days later.
I can’t get enough of Storm, help!
I plan on supplying ALL of Storm related videos, articles and pictures here for you Storm-lovers that just can’t get enough of my crazy feathery Storminator. Here is what I have complied and will continue to add to as I continue to visit my little green love.
- Video taken on my trip from FL to NY for TV (my travel diary being interrupted)
- Day 2 video with Storm.
- Storm regurgitating for me.
- Dave touch training Storm.
- Storm after a spray bath.
- Storm says “I’m having a heart”.
- Storm eats green beans!
- Amazon Storm in Moab.
- Womach home video (Storm in aviary).
- Sneaking up on Stormy in the motorhome.
- Day 2 with Storm.
- Hilarious singing with Storm the amazon parrot and Jamieleigh.
- Storm does all the talking… always.
- Storm tells Comet “no”.
- … And Storm.
- Pets for Storm.
- Anything else? NO!
- Storm and Jamieleigh form a band.
- Storm the Bossinator.
- The boss bird.
- Freestyle Flyer’s Club.
- Back up travel diary video.
- Day 22 with Storm.
- Amazon parrot says “hi Storm” on cue.
- Day 6 Storm eats new foods.
- Day 16 (couldn’t use Storm because he interrupts)
- Day 9, 1st bath.
- Touch training amazon parrot.
- Day 34.
- Storm regurgitating.
- Storm flying inside and outside.
- Amazon parrot purring.
- Exploring Moab.
- Day 5.
- The most famous interrupting amazon parrot Storm video ever.
- All videos we have uploaded of Storm.
- My July surprise visit to see Storm on my way to Coney Island, NY: https://jamiesparrothelp.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/storm-the-amazon-parrot-and-me/
- Day 2, 3 and 4 progress with Storm; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storm-the-amazon-parrot-day-2-3-4-progress/
- Touch training Storm; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storm-the-amazon-parrot-learns-touch-training/
- Baffled hormonal amazon behavior; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/parrot-behavior-have-you-baffled/
- Why it was all worth it; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/update-on-storm-the-amazon-parrot-from-his-owners/
- Storm’s story; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/another-parrot-saved/
- Flight training Storm; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/amazon-parrot-flight-training-success/
- Storm starts flying; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/stormy-starts-flying/
- Storm moves outdoors; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storm-the-amazon-moves-outside/
- Storm plays with toys; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storms-latest-progress-chewing-up-wood-toys/
- Day 16 with Storm; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/setting-your-parrot-up-for-success/
- Day 13 with Storm; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/day-13-drama-with-storm/
- Storm gives me a problem… http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/ive-got-a-problem/
- Storm learns to forage; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/learning-how-to-forage/
- Storm bathes; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storm-takes-his-first-bath/
- Getting Storm to like his first male figure; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storm-likes-his-first-male-figure/
- Day 8: Storm’s diet; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/day-8-back-to-diet/
- Day 6 and 7 with Storm; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/day-6-diet-progress-day-7-taking-off/
- Storm steps up on Day 5; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/storm-steps-up-on-day-5/
- Storm’s new environment; http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/changing-your-birds-environment/
- Meet Storm! http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/blue-fronted-amazon-parrot-meet-storm/
- Storm’s funny story; http://jamiesparrothelp.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/a-funny-amazon-parrot-story/
- Storm’s 45 days with me are over; http://jamiesparrothelp.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/storms-45-days-with-me-are-over/
- Fostering Storm, my first blog on Storm; http://jamiesparrothelp.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/fostering-a-blue-fronted-amazon-parrot/